It’s always best to take a good amount of time to research the LASIK center you are considering for any kind of vision care procedure. The Nielsen Eye Center offers the following guidelines for individuals who are looking for quality care and treatment from experienced eye doctors who offer LASIK surgery:
- To find a LASIK surgeon, obtain referrals from other doctors you trust or from other patients who have had a laser vision correction procedure.
- Once you narrow down your choices, request information about the doctor’s complication rates. For many of the top surgeons, the rate is typically under 3 in 1,000. If the doctor you are considering will not tell you his or her average complication rate, you should look elsewhere.
- Be sure to choose the doctor, not the laser center. It’s important not to base your decision on a fancy advertisement for a laser facility. Inquire about whom will be performing your procedure and request information about his or her credentials, training, experience, and board certifications.
- It’s a good idea to choose an eye doctor who is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology. This achievement indicates that the surgeon has passed strict board-certification examination requirements and is committed to adhering to a comprehensive code of ethics.
- A laser vision correction surgeon who has performed at least 4,000 LASIK surgeries is often preferable.
- Be cautious about advertisements proclaiming large discounts or “low-cost” surgery. Always pay attention to the doctor’s level of qualifications and experience because the potential for saving money is not worth the risk of getting lower-quality care.
- It’s a good idea to ask about measures the doctor/practice takes to prevent infection. A facility with a dust-free or sterile operating room should be a high priority in your determination. Request information to ensure that disposable parts are not reused and that your eye and all surgical instruments are thoroughly sterilized before your procedure to ward against the risk of infectious disease transmission.
- If you feel like you are getting pushed into having a procedure or that a practice is using “hard-sell” tactics, it may be best to look elsewhere. This process should not feel like you are buying a car.
- Remember to have realistic expectations. LASIK is a revolutionary procedure that has helped millions of people reduce and even eliminate their need for corrective eyewear; however, each patient is different and will have slightly different results. Be wary of doctors who promise “perfect, 20/20” vision.
- With that in mind, don’t forget about all the potential benefits that come with LASIK surgery. So many people across the globe have had a lifetime of fuzzy vision corrected in what often amounts to a quick, five-minute procedure. LASIK is an advanced treatment that can have positive effects on your livelihood for years to come, and finally allow you to see more clearly without heavy dependence on glasses and contacts.
If you would like more information about LASIK, our doctors, and the experience you can expect at our practice, please contact us today.