Are You a LASIK Candidate?
LASIK is one of the most popular vision correction treatments available. This advanced laser procedure has helped people all over the world reduce – and even eliminate – their dependence on glasses and contact lenses. The only way to accurately determine if LASIK can be performed on your eyes is to be evaluated by one of our experienced eye surgeons. There are a few basic candidacy requirements that all individuals must meet before LASIK can be performed.
Good candidates for LASIK include:
- Individuals who are at least 18 years old
- Individuals who have had a stable vision prescription for a period of one year or longer
- Individuals who are in relatively good overall health
- Individuals who have corneas that are thick enough to undergo the procedure
- Individuals who are not currently suffering from certain eye diseases, including glaucoma or cataracts
It’s important to remember that many patients qualify as candidates for LASIK; however, for those who do not, there are a variety of alternatives to LASIK that can provide many of the same benefits. These alternatives can include options such as Flapless LASIK, Implantable Collamer Lens (ICL), and Refractive Lens Exchange (RLE).
If you are considering LASIK eye surgery, we suggest scheduling a complimentary pre-operative evaluation to determine if you are a candidate. You may also complete our LASIK Self-Evaluation quiz online, and one of our Patient Advocates will contact you to discuss arranging your complimentary V.I.P. consultation.
The complimentary pre-operative exam at The Nielsen Eye Center is a thorough eye exam designed to evaluate your corneas, your overall eye health, and your LASIK candidacy. The Nielsen Eye Center carefully screens patients to determine if they are qualified for LASIK. Our practice is a state-of-the-art laser facility, utilizing some of the best diagnostic equipment available. If you are searching for options to correct your vision and diminish your reliance on corrective eyewear, now is a great time to schedule a complimentary consultation and find out if LASIK is the best treatment for your needs.
How to Choose a LASIK Surgeon
It’s always best to take a good amount of time to research the LASIK center you are considering for any kind of eye care procedure. The Nielsen Eye Center offers the following guidelines for individuals who are looking for quality care and treatment from experienced eye doctors who offer LASIK surgery:
- To find a LASIK surgeon, obtain referrals from other doctors you trust or from other patients who have had a laser vision correction procedure.
- Once you narrow down your choices, request information about the doctor’s complication rates. For many of the top surgeons, the rate is typically under 3 in 1,000. If the doctor you are considering will not tell you his or her average complication rate, you should look elsewhere.
- Be sure to choose the doctor, not the laser center. It’s important not to base your decision on a fancy advertisement for a laser facility. Inquire about who will be performing your procedure and request information about his or her credentials, training, experience, and board certifications.
- It’s a good idea to choose an eye doctor who is a member of the American Academy of Ophthalmology. This achievement indicates that the surgeon has passed strict board-certification examination requirements and is committed to adhering to a comprehensive code of ethics.
- A laser vision correction surgeon who has performed at least 4,000 LASIK surgeries is often preferable.
- Be cautious about advertisements proclaiming large discounts or “low-cost” surgery. Always pay attention to the doctor’s level of qualifications and experience because the potential for saving money is not worth the risk of getting lower-quality care.
- It’s a good idea to ask about measures the doctor/practice takes to prevent infection. A facility with a dust-free or sterile operating room should be a high priority in your determination. Request information to ensure that disposable parts are not reused and that your eye and all surgical instruments are thoroughly sterilized before your procedure to ward against the risk of infectious disease transmission.
- If you feel like you are getting pushed into having a procedure or that a practice is using “hard-sell” tactics, it may be best to look elsewhere. This process should not feel like you are buying a car.
- Remember to have realistic expectations. LASIK is a revolutionary procedure that has helped millions of people reduce and even eliminate their need for corrective eyewear; however, each patient is different and will have slightly different results. Be wary of doctors who promise “perfect, 20/20” vision.
- With that in mind, don’t forget about all the potential benefits that come with LASIK surgery. So many people across the globe have had a lifetime of fuzzy vision corrected in what often amounts to a quick, five-minute procedure. LASIK is an advanced treatment that can have positive effects on your livelihood for years to come, and finally, allow you to see more clearly without heavy dependence on glasses and contacts.
If you would like more information about LASIK, our surgeons, and the experience you can expect at our practice, please contact us today. Call 1-877-373-2020 and ask to speak to a Patient Advocate.
At The Nielsen Eye Center, we are proud to offer our patients The Nielsen Advantage: The Doctors, The Technology, The Service You Deserve. That is why we provide Free VIP LASIK Consultations to each and every interested patient.
During the consultation, you will have your eyes screened to determine if you are a LASIK candidate. You will then have the opportunity to meet one on one with the surgeon performing your LASIK procedure, Dr. Steven A. Nielsen or Dr. Helen Moreira. Your assigned Patient Advocate will be readily available to you during and after your visit to answer any of your questions about the procedure, scheduling or financing. There is no obligation or pressure to schedule your procedure after attending a consult. This is your opportunity to gain information about your vision correction options.
The Nielsen Eye Center is a full-service ophthalmic practice offering everything from routine eye care to refractive surgery and treatments for diseases of the eye.
Would you like a Free VIP LASIK Consultation?